A company wants to bid on an order of 20,000 square based boxes which hold 5 cubic feet. The cardboard cost is $.15 per square foot. The boxes must be reinforced with an extra layer of cheaper cardboard on the bottom ($.12 per square foot). The box is held together with tape on all four edges and one side edge. There is also one edge along the top which is taped to create a hinge. It cost $.10 per linear foot to tape edges.
1. Write a function for the cost of a box based on the length of the base.
2. Graph your cost function.
3. What should the dimensions of the box be in order to minimize the cost?
4. How much will it cost to make the 20,000 boxes?
5. If the company wants to make 15% what should they bid?