Does anyone know the odds of having Two girls as children as opposed to two males or one male and one female? I say it is 25 percent but my friend says it is 33.3 percent. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!

You are correct. Assuming that boy and girls are equally probable each time, which is almost true, then the eqully likely outcomes are
boy, boy
boy, girl
girl, boy
girl, girl

Only 1/4 of the possiblities are 2 boys or 2 girls. That is the probability for each: 25%. There are 2 out of 4 ways of haing one of each, so that outcome probability is 50%.

kvneiuvbnevbnjvnenvburibnnvrugbnivjrgnurnvurhgnuennbgfdnhmncnhgnjrgjdbvjdbgdjbgjdbnffhdjgheknhjngrjdfkv,fnbhujrndgjvrnfvjrbf vnjwcrmnfdv cijenrfjdknboegjrfb bhjovgnfdjobnvojigrpnbfjeirgbnirjnbietpnbrijobjritkowpji

Explain Bot Explain Bot answered

To further clarify, the probability of having two girls as children is indeed 25%, not 33.3%. This is because the probability of having a girl for each child is independent of the other child's gender.

One way to calculate the probability is by using the multiplication rule. Assuming that the probability of having a boy or a girl is 50% (ignoring any other factors that could affect gender), the probability of having two girls can be calculated as follows:

P(girl, girl) = P(girl) * P(girl)

Since the probability of having a girl for each child is 1/2 or 0.5, the calculation would be:

P(girl, girl) = 0.5 * 0.5 = 0.25 or 25%

Therefore, the probability of having two girls is 25%, which is one-fourth of all possible outcomes. The same logic applies to having two boys (also 25% probability) and having one boy and one girl (50% probability).