Honors Biology Semester Exam Answers
1. Nucleotides contain sugar, a phosphate group, and a nitrogen base. Which of the following is a nitrogen base?
Answer - guanine
2. The following list includes several examples of chemical groups commonly found in biomolecules. Identify the answer choice that correctly lists the chemical groups found in all 20 amino acids.
Answer - 2 and 3
3. Identify the statement below that is true about chemical reactions.
Answer - Exothermic reactions tend to release heat energy to the surrounding environment.
4. You find a blog post written by a student on a university website about photosynthesis. Assess the reliability of this source.
Answer - It may be reliable because they cited multiple high-quality studies from scientific journals.
5. The movement of water across cellular membranes from a hypotonic to hypertonic environments through aquaporins, which are channel proteins, can be defined as both
Answer - osmosis and facilitated diffusion.
6. Distinguish between smooth endoplasmic reticulum and rough endoplasmic reticulum.
Answer - Rough endoplasmic reticulum has ribosomes attached to its surface.
7. When comparing plant cells to animal cells, which organelle is only present in plant cells?
Answer - cell wall
8. Invertebrates lack which organ system?
Answer - skeletal - correct
9. The function of the enzyme salivary amylase is to
Answer - break down starch.
10. Deoxygenated blood from the body returns to the heart through veins. The heart then pumps... (continues description)Based on the above passage, identify the two body systems that interact together to achieve the described behavior.
Answer - respiratory and circulatory
11. Identify the location within a plant cell where the light-dependent reactions of photosynthesis take place.
Answer - the thylakoid membrane of the chloroplast
12. Compare 41 Calories to 410 kcal (1 kcal = 1,000 calories).
Answer - 41 Calories is less than 410 kcal
13. Under anaerobic conditions, what is the purpose of lactic acid fermentation in the process of producing ATP?
Answer - to generate the NAD+ needed for glycolysis to extract energy from glucose
14. The energy in ATP is stored in the chemical bond to a(n)
Answer - phosphate group.
15. The mutation shown in the sequence below can be categorized as which type?
Answer - deletion mutation
16. Blood type in humans follows a multiple allele inheritance pattern. There are three alleles for blood... (continues description)A mother with type A blood has a son with type O blood. Identify the genotype that the father must have in order to produce this child.
Answer - IBi
17. Viruses that infect animals tend to be enveloped viruses. Identify the answer choice that best describes the structure of these viruses.
Answer - a nucleic acid genome surrounded by a capsid encased in a lipid membrane
18. Why are common cold viruses difficult to cure?
Answer - The viral genome mutates very quickly.
19. Identify the answer choice that correctly orders the types of cells from least to most differentiated.
Answer - totipotent stem cells → pluripotent stem cells → multipotent stem cells → neuron
20. Identify the phases of mitosis during which sister chromatids are no longer attached by a centromere.
Answer - anaphase and telophase
21. Differentiated cells in a multicellular organism tend to behave differently from stem cells. The process of differentiation alters the behavior of cells by
Answer - changing the expression of genes.
22. You need to prepare for an exam on mitosis. You search for models of mitosis to help you. What kind of model should you choose?
Answer - a model that illustrates how a cell divides into two identical cells
23. The following list of events happens during meiosis... Identify the answer choice that correctly lists the events from above that lead to new genetic combinations in the gametes.
Answer - 1 and 2
24. Identify the mutation below that would be passed on to a living, fertile offspring if it happened in a parent.
Answer - an insertion mutation in an egg cell that deactivates a gene for hair color, resulting in a viable error
25. Methylation is an example of
Answer - epigenetics
26. An scientist observes a population of cheetahs on the plains in southern Africa and noticed that cheetahs have very little genetic variation. The scientists claims that the cheetahs are susceptible to extinction as a result of climate change. What is the name of the effect the scientist observed and why is it a concern?
Answer - Bottleneck effect, because it means most cheetahs could succumb to the same environmental stresses
27. Identify the scenario that could potentially result in new combinations of DNA in the offspring of the individual.
Answer - A pair of homologous chromosomes fails to separate during anaphase I of meiosis.
28. Body size in mice (length from nose to base of tail) is controlled in part by genetics. The following data shows the number of mice grouped by lengths... Based on this data and your knowledge of inheritance patterns, identify the inheritance pattern that this trait follows in mice.
Answer - polygenic
100% Hope this helps. Oh btw, some people have different Q&A's for their tests and assessments. So, if I gave you a question that isn't on your test, you'll have to look around.
thanks, bro u were correct :) some questions were changed though, i got a bad grade on it because i thought ur answer were wrong but the answers i did trust u on were all correct rip. :0 but thanks man good job
No worries, not all questions are the same but are easy to find :)
This pops up when im 2 questions from done, bruh 💀
Only 20 was different for biology honors in 2022
20. Why are there different types of cells?
Answer: Gene expression is different between different specialized cells.
oof i have the 40 question one :,D
ANYone from 2022 taking this test should only be following 2022 AWNSERS if you want a good grade <3
Do anyone have Biology A semester Exam 35 questions
(The rest of the Exam) hope all of you pass if we have the same exam lol
24. the thylakoid membrane of the….
25. 41 calories is less than 410 kcal
26. lactic acid
27. phosphate group
29. an insertion mutation in an egg…
30. A DNA replication error caused by DNA polymerase
31. A multipotent cell specialized cell within tissue, but it is more limited than a pluripotent cell
32. totipotent stem cells → pluripotent stem cells → multipotent stem cells → neuron
33. offspring receive genes for half of their…
35. Checkpoints are designed to detect if there…