A hypothesis is an educated guess and as such must have the following characteristics:
1) can be proved or disproved
2) is based on some previous evidence
3) is an unsubstiantiated thought
4) is the basis of psychological research
5) all of the above
6) 1, 4
7) 1, 2, 4
Rather than "proved or disproved," I would say "supported or contradicted."
I would say 4.
The correct answer is 7) 1, 2, 4.
A hypothesis is an educated guess made by a researcher based on previous evidence. It must be able to be proved or disproved through experimentation or observation. It is the basis of psychological research because it enables researchers to formulate research questions and design studies to test the hypothesis. Therefore, option 7) 1, 2, 4 is the correct answer as it includes all the characteristics mentioned in the question.
The correct answer is option 7) 1, 2, 4.
To arrive at this answer, let's break down the characteristics mentioned in the options:
1) A hypothesis can be proved or disproved. This characteristic is correct as a hypothesis is a statement that can be tested and either supported or rejected based on empirical evidence.
2) A hypothesis is based on some previous evidence. This characteristic is also correct as a hypothesis is formulated based on existing knowledge, observations, or theories.
3) A hypothesis is an unsubstantiated thought. This characteristic is incorrect. A hypothesis is not merely a random thought; it is an educated guess that is formulated based on existing evidence and knowledge.
4) A hypothesis is the basis of psychological research. This characteristic is correct. In the field of psychology, hypotheses are crucial for designing research studies, conducting experiments, and making predictions.
Considering these explanations, options 3 and 5 can be eliminated as they include incorrect characteristics. Option 6 includes only one correct characteristic. Therefore, the correct answer is option 7) 1, 2, 4, as it includes all the correct characteristics of a hypothesis.