- Chemistry lab
based on the qualitative organic analysis
1. Why is it important to have clean test tubes before running a test?
Before which tests should acetone not be used to clean the test tubes?
2. Why run solubility tests before running the functional group classification tests?
Solubility tests helps to determine the size and polarity of an unknown compound and the presence of basic or acidic functional groups. Knowledge of the acidity of the functional group helps to narrow down the functional group of a substance during the classification tests.
3. Determine the functional group present in these unknown:
(a) Unknown A is soluble in water and gives bubbles with5% NaHCO3. – carboxylic acid
(b) Unknown B is insoluble in water, insoluble in 5% NaOH, but soluble in 5% HCl.
(c) Unknown C is insoluble in water, insoluble in 5% NaOH, insoluble in 5% HCl, soluble with a color change in conc. H2SO4, and decolorizes both KMnO4 (aq) and bromine in cyclohexane.
(d) Unknown D is soluble in water, does not produce bubbles with 5% NaHCO3, gives a precipitate with 2,4-DNP, and gives a hsia color with the Schiff test.
4. In each of the following cases, describe the next test you would perform.
(a) Unknown X is insoluble in water, 5% NaOH, 5% HCl, and conc. H2SO4.
(b) Unknown Y is insoluble in water, soluble in 5% NaOH, and insoluble in 5% NaHCO3.
(c) Unknown Z is insoluble in water, insoluble in 5% NaOH, insoluble in 5% HCl, and soluble in conc. H2SO4.
5. You suspect that your unknown contains halogen, so you perform the silver nitrate in ethanol test and the sodium iodide in acetone test, both of which are negative. Do these results prove that your compound does not contain a halogen? Briefly explain.
Melkamu Boka Eba
Answer this Question
Which option describes an inference?(1 point) a conclusion that is based on evidence a conclusion that is based on evidence the general feeling an author conveys in a text the general feeling an author conveys in a text facts and information that support
Science - Please Check Some Answers 1
Please help me with the following: A science class tested ways to clean water after an oil spill. Each group of students was given 100 mL of vegetable oil, 100 mL of engine oil, and 800 mL of water in a rectangular plastic container. Each container also
Stephanie can clean a pool in 1 hour , and Mark can clean the same pool in 1.5 hours. If the rate at which they work together is the sum of their rates working separately, how many minutes should they need to clean the pool if they work together? (1 hr=60
1.Choose the method a historian would use when thinking about the unique beliefs and viewpoints of an author and how they could influence their source. a.frame of reference b.diverse perspectives c.point of view d.historical context 2.Explain the method a
Sience 6A A mystery investigation QC Answers
1. A chemistry class is experimenting with iodine to see which common white powder items will react and make the iodine change color. Which item listed will have a chemical reaction with iodine?(1 point) A. salt B. cornstarch*** C. baking soda D. powdered
Organic hydrogenation reactions, in which H2 and an "unsaturated" organic compound combine, are used in the food, fuel, and polymer industries. In the simplest case, ethene (C2H4) and H2 form ethane (C2H6). If 124 kJ is given off per mole of C2H4 reacting,
3. Suppose the Clean Springs Water Company has a monopoly on bottled water sales in California. If the price of tap water increases, what is the change in Clean Springs' profit-maximizing level of output, price, and profit? Explain in words and with a
Which statement accurately describes test tubes and beakers?(1 point)
Type of sentence based upon choices: When packing the order yesterday, one important item was omitted. (A) Properly constructed (B) Dangler (C) Misplaced (D) Lacks parallel parts. I believe it is A?
A father and his son can clean the house together in 7 hours. When the son works alone, it takes him an hour longer to clean than it takes his dad alone. Find how long it takes the son to clean alone