Why, when, and where did Abraham Lincoln say "What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." ?
Since this is not my area of expertise, I searched Google under the key words "Abraham Lincoln Skunk quote" to get
possible sources. I got over 15 sources listing that quote, but none of them gave the information you wanted.
You can do a similar search yourself extending beyond the ones I surveyed. Sorry that I could not help more. Thanks for asking.
According to this Web site, Lincoln made that statement in a campaign circular in 1843.
Okay, thanks! What exactly does the quote mean?
"What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself." ?
Skunks are well-known for exuding an awful smell when they are threatened. Lincoln was comparing the bad publicity given to anyone who makes himself wildly unpopular to a skunk.
Umm, sorry, I'm not quite clear of what that means. Can you explain it again, please? I thought it meant that when bad people (politicians mostly) brag about the bad stuff they do, things are going to get bad for them.
Politicians don't brag about bad stuff -- but a few are so crooked and rotten that people think they stink! A good example from recent news is Representative Mark Foley. His political career is killed because of his unethicalness that brought him bad publicity.
So it means that bad politicans get bad publicity? That doesn't seem like much of a quote to me. I liked my interpretation better.
My interpretation of the quote is this: Skunks draw attention to themselves and are thus killed because of it, so I would assume Lincoln is talking about surpressing your ego and not drawing too much attention to yourself, for that will eventually be your downfall.
Answer this Question
Lincoln’s focus in the Gettysburg Address was to A)campaign for a reelection. B)urge the South to surrender. C)free African American slaves in the South. D)describe the importance of the Union and freedom.****
Having a hard time in World History! Please let me know if these are right and if not please tell me the answers! 1. How did the religious beliefs of the ancient Israelites differ from those of other nearby peoples? The Israelites believed in many gods,
Urgent Plz Help?!?!?!?
1. which factor contributed most to increase importance of literature in American culture during the 19th century? A.)the success of major social-reform movements B.)the spread of utopian communities throughout the nation C.)the migration of European
1. How did the religious beliefs of the ancient Israelites differ from those of other nearby peoples? The Israelites believed in many gods, while other peoples believed in only one God.*** The Israelites believed in one God, while other peoples believed in
social studies HELP PLSS
1. Which of the following was the provision in the treaty of paris 1763? A.All french land in north america was being given to england B.All french land in north america was being given to spain C.All french land west of mississippi & louisiana were to be
Art please help!
1. Why was it so important for the Greeks to honor and represent the gods and their currency? a- the greeks enjoyed the stories of the gods. b- the greeks were inspired by the beauty of the gods. c- the greeks lived in constant fear of the gods. d- the
1.How did the capture of Vicksburg, Mississippi, take advantage of a Confederate weakness? A-The Confederacy had few soldiers and relied on its well-trained generals to win battles. B- The Confederacy had few weapons manufacturers and relied on Vicksburg
Lesson 6.07 Letter to a Citizen of Kentucky, an excerpt Executive Mansion, Washington, April 4, 1864. A. G. Hodges, Esq., Frankfort, Ky. My Dear Sir: You ask me to put in writing the substance of what I verbally stated the other day, in your presence, to
3. The organizational pattern of the Gettysburg Address is (1 point) Problem and solution, because Lincoln explains what is necessary to win the Civil War. Compare and contrast, because Lincoln compares the soldiers at war with the ones who died.
How did Maryland's political status during the Civil War reflect that of other border states? President Lincoln suspended habeas corpus to keep Maryland in the union. Maryland was a slave state that remained part of the union. Most of the battles of the