How are the increasing and decreasing intervals of a function and it’s reciprocal related?
if f (a) and f(b) are positive, then
increasing means that if a<b then f(a) < f(b)
so 1/f(a) > 1/f(b)
so 1/f(x) is decreasing
Explore what happens when a or b or both are negative.
maybe a good online graphing site would be useful at this point to check your conclusions.
Or, if you have calculus, compare the derivatives.
Answer this Question
The girl in the picture is at the highest point in swinging and starts to come down. Which statement best describes the changes in energy as she begins to descend? A. Kinetic and potential energy are decreasing. B. Kinetic and potential energy are
- asked by carson
- 5,451 views
x^2 - 4 What are the: Intervals on which the graph is above the x axis Intervals on which the graph is below the x axis Intervals on which the function is increasing Intervals on which the function is increasing Im not sure how to write these intervals..
- asked by Rose
- 1,319 views
1. which of the following is a fourth degree polynomial function? select all that apply. a. f(x)= 4x^3 - x^2 + 2x - 7 b. f(x)= 5-x^4 c. f(x)= 1 / 2x^4 + x^2 -5 d. f(x)= 3x^4 + 2x^3 -4x +1 2. which function below has the end behavior f(x) approaches neg.
- asked by mr mango
- 4,851 views
The same type of engine is placed in two different airplanes. The first airplane is twice as heavy as the second airplane. Which statement is correct about the mass of the airplane and its acceleration, assuming a constant net force? Increasing the
- asked by lyssa
- 4,770 views
What is one economic factor affecting technology in Africa? A. decreasing investment in technology hubs B. decreasing jobs in technology C. increasing competition among Internet providers D. lack of competition among Internet providers
- asked by Help
- 2,645 views
Q.1 Protease is an enzyme in the human body that catalyzes a chemical reaction in which proteins are broken down into smaller molecules so that the body can use them. Which is a likely outcome if protease does not function properly? 1.The cells of the
- asked by anonn
- 781 views
Suppose that f is a differentiable function with derivative 𝑓'(𝑥) = (𝑥 − 3)(𝑥 + 1)(𝑥 + 5). Determine the intervals of x for which the function of f is increasing and decreasing.
- asked by Anna
- 1,340 views
A rocket is fired into the air with an initial velocity of 98 m/s. The height ( h ) of the rocket after t seconds is given by the expression h = 98t - 4.9t2. a. What the average rate of change over the first 2 seconds. b. At what point does the rocket
- asked by sdtvds
- 2,316 views
Describe the transformation of the graph reciprocal function f(x)= 1/x to produce the function g(x) = -1/x-2+3
- asked by Stacey
- 2,116 views
1. Which of the following statements represent EXPONENTIAL relationships? Check all that apply. a. The temperature is decreasing at the rate of 3°F per hour. b. The value of a car depreciates at a rate of 22% per year. c. The price of houses in this
- asked by help me
- 1,069 views
The table shows the relationship between the number of players on a team and the minutes each player gets to play Players Minutes 7 35 8 30 9 25 10 20 Is the relationship a function that is decreasing or increasing; is the relationship a functions that is
- asked by BUBBLES
- 5,058 views
Find the interval(s) where the function is increasing and the interval(s) where it is decreasing. (Enter your answers using interval notation. If the answer cannot be expressed as an interval, enter EMPTY or ∅.) f(x) = (5 − x^2) / x my work: a)
- asked by Anna
- 2,141 views
4. The population of a small town is modelled by the function p(t)= 20(4t+3)/2t+5 , where P(t) is the population, in thousands, and t is time, in years, since the start of 1990. a) Is the population currently increasing or decreasing? Justify your answer.
- asked by FUNCTIONS
- 9,846 views
Plz Help 1. what is the end behavior of the exponetial function f(x)=3/2*(4/5)^x? 2. use a graph to determine if the exponential function g(x)=-6*5^x is positive or negative and increasing or decreasing
- asked by Michael
- 3,554 views
Ignoring air resistance, an object falling near the surface of the Earth has an acceleration that is: A. constant B. increasing C. decreasing D. dependant on the weight of the object
- asked by Jim
- 3,249 views
1. The graph of f ′′(x) is continuous and decreasing with an x-intercept at x = –3. Which of the following statements must be true? A. The graph of f is always concave down. B. The graph of f has an inflection point at x = –3. C. The graph of f has
- asked by Justin
- 5,145 views
The rate at which water flows into a tank, in gallons per hour, is given by a differentiable function R of time t. The table below gives the rate as measured at various times in an 8-hour time period. t---------0-----2------3-------7----8 (hours)
- asked by Henry
- 4,774 views
Calculus (Urgent Help)
Okay, I need major help! Can someone tell me if these statements are true or false ASAP please. Thank you. 1. If ƒ′(x) < 0 when x < c then ƒ(x) is decreasing when x < c. True 2. The function ƒ(x) = x^3 – 3x + 2 is increasing on the interval -1 < x <
- asked by Veronica
- 3,643 views
The Voltage v , Current I and Resistance R are related by the equation V=IR. Suppose that V is increasing at a rate of 2 volt/sec, while I is decreasing of the rate of 1/5 (amp/sec ). Let t denote time in seconds. Find the rate at which R is changing when
- asked by maria
- 1,970 views
2. Consider the function f defined by f(x)=(e^X)cosx with domain[0,2pie] . a. Find the absolute maximum and minimum values of f(x) b. Find the intervals on which f is increasing. c. Find the x-coordinate of each point of inflection of the graph of f.
- asked by Yoona
- 9,713 views